Srikhand | Kesar Pista Shrikhand Recipe | Shreekhand
There’s hardly anything better than to end one’s week with fluffy, deep-fried pooris for lunch. And what better than to treat your taste-buds with the spiciness of the classic potato sabzi and the sweetness of shrikhand? No, even better is when you can prepare this delicious shrikhand in your kitchen and serve it with pooris.
Srikhand is a traditional Indian sweet which is a popular sweet of Gujarat and Maharashtra. Shrikhand is made from hung curd or chakka and flavored with saffron strands and cardamom powder with a garnish of slivered nuts. We have shown an easy way to make shreekhand which tastes better than store-bought ones.
- Preparing time- 16 hours
- cooking time- 15 minutes
- Serving – 4 persons
- Thick curd 1000 grams made from full-fat milk
- malai/ fresh milk cream 2 tbsp
- Saffron- soaked in hot milk and then refrigerated after cooling
- Powder Sugar- 8 tbsp / 1/2 cup
- Pistachio- 2-3 ( Optional)
- Green cardamom powder- 1 tsp
- Curd should be thick and have malai/ cream to get creaminess in shrikhand.
- Take a vessel and place a strainer on it. Spread a clean cloth on top of it.
- Add the curd.
- Let the water flow from the cloth.
- But do not throw this water. Store it and use it while making kadhi by adding to curds.
- Tie this cloth with curd into a bundle.
- Keep this strainer with the curd tied in a cloth inside a bigger vessel.
- Keep it for 16 hours at least in the refrigerator, but do not deep-freeze it.
- Keep weight on top of the cloth wrapping the curd inside the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Now after removing from the fridge, whisk the hung curd continuously for 10 minutes. with a fork, taking care to whisk in the same direction.
- Now fat starts getting released slightly.
- If you do not beat it like this, the shrikhand will not be good.
- Add malai/ fresh milk cream.
- Add the powdered sugar.
- Add saffron which has been dissolved in hot milk and cooled.
- Drop in the sliced almonds and pistachios.
- Sprinkle some cardamom powder, and mix well.
- Refrigerate it (do not keep in the freezer) for 4 hours.
- Remove from the fridge and serve yummy srikhand with hot pooris.
Prepare this super-delicious shrikhand this weekend, and serve it alongside pooris as well as potato sabzi or chhole masala. Bon appetit!