Ragda Patties Recipe | Ragda Pattice | Ragada Recipe | Aloo Tikki Chat Recipe
- Rest time: 8 hours
- Prep time: 15 mins
- Cooking time: 1 hour
- Serves: 6
- Ragda Patties is a very famous street food in Mumbai.
- In the recipe of ragda pattice, potato patties are either deep-fried or shallow fried and topped with peas (dried peas )curry known as ragda.
- Further, the chaat chutneys, that is the coriander and mint chutney and tamarind jaggery chutney, sev, chopped onions, coriander leaves and chaat masala are added.
- The result? The outcome is an amazing recipe with varied textures, tastes and flavours – sweet n sour n spicy and more!
Ingredients for ragda:
- White peas 400 g/ 2 cups
- – Oil 1 tbsp
- – Jeera 1 tsp
- – Paste of 2 big onions
- – Ginger garlic paste 2 tbsp
- – Green chillies chopped 2
- – Coriander powder 1 tbsp
- – cumin powder 1 tsp
- – Red chilli powder 1 /2 tbsp
- – Dry mango powder 1tsp
- – Turmeric powder ½ tsp
- – Water as required
- – Salt to taste
- – Baking soda 1 tsp
- – Garam masala 1 tsp
- – Fresh coriander leaves 1 tbsp
1.) Method for making ragda
- Wash the peas and soak them in fresh water for a minimum of 8 hours/overnight.
- Transfer to a pressure cooker after washing well. Add 4 cups of water and turmeric powder
- Pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles on medium heat. Switch off the flame and let the pressure release naturally to open the lid.
- Heat oil.
- Add onion paste.
- Add ginger-garlic paste.
- Add turmeric, salt and cook until raw flavour is gone.
- Add coriander powder, red chilli powder, amchur powder, garam masala.
- Add green chutney and tamarind sweet-sour chutney.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked peas.
- Mix well.
- Add water.
- Add chaat masala and rock salt.
- Bring to a boil. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes
- Switch off the flame when the desired consistency is reached
Ingredients for aloo patties:
- Boiled potatoes 1 kg
- • Salt to taste
- • roasted poha’s powder as needed to bind
- • Fresh coriander leaves 1 tbsp (chopped)
- • Coriander powder 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/4 tsp
- • Red chilli powder 1 tsp
- • Chaat masala 1 tsp
- • Aamchur powder ½ tsp
- • Ghee / Oil for shallow frying
Method for aloo pattice
- •In a mixing bowl, add the boiled potatoes and mash them well, and add salt, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, cumin powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder, chaat masala, aamchur powder and roasted poha powder/bread crumbs. Mix well
- • Take a portion of potato mixture and shape it into tikki / patties.
- • Set a pan on medium heat, add ghee/oil and shallow fry the tikkis on both the sides until golden brown.
Assembly of ragda patties:
- Place the aloo pattice on a serving plate, add the prepared ragda, add green chutney, tamarind chutney, sprinkle some chaat masala.
- Add some chopped onion, some sev, freshly chopped coriander leaves.