Poori Masala | Potato Curry For Poori Restaurant Style | Poori Kizhangu
- The traditional accompaniment to pooris is potatoes in gravy. This combination is known as poori-kizhangu in Tamil. Kizhangu stands for urulaikizhangu, which in Tamil means potato. This poori and aloo ki sabzi is a popular combination at homes as well as restaurants in South India.
- Other popular combinations are poori srikhand and poori kurma.
- I have many childhood memories associated with this yummy potato masala for poori. Memories of my brother, sister, amma and appa gong to a good Udupi restaurant here in Mumbai and relishing hot potato curry for poori restaurant style. Memories of amma surprising us with this menu of poori kizhangu when we returned from school.
- It is often asked, ” What is the difference between kizhangu for poori and potato masala for masala dosa or mysore masala dosa? There is a lot of similarity between this aloo ki sabzi for aloo poori and potato masala for masala dosa. Yet they are slightly different. The aloo masala for masala dosa is drier. The poori masala or poori kizhangu is more curry-like though it does not have a runny gravy. That is why we add besan and water mixture to potato masala for poori. Whereas no besan or chickpeas flour is added to the masala for masala dosa.
- Now, let us see how to make this awesome potato curry.
- Potatoes washed boiled and peeled 500 grams
- Onions 400 grams/ 3 big onions
- Ginger 1 inch piece
- Green chillies 3
- Curry leaves 1 tbsp
- Besan/ chickpeas flour 2 tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt 1 tsp
- Oil 3 tbsp
- Mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
- Chana dal / split Bengal gram 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/ split black gram 1/2 tsp
- Jeera/ cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
Heat oil. Add mustard seeds when the oil is hot. When the mustard seeds crackle, add chana dal, urad dal, jeera. Add ginger which is finely chopped, finely chopped green chilies and curry leaves. Add sliced onions. Saute until onions are translucent. Do not let them turn golden. Add turmeric powder and salt. Add potatoes which are washed, boiled and peeled. Mix well and stir. Mash the potatoes. Add 1.5 cups of water. Add salt. Mix 2 tbsp besan in a little water and add this to the potatoes Mix well and stir for 2 minutes and switch off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves Add 2 tsp lemon juice. Serve yummy potato masala with pooris.
- For this recipe, the gravy should not be runny. When we mix besan or gram flour in water, add it to the gravy and simmer for 3-4 minutes, it thickens.
- You can increase or decrease the number of green chilies, as per your tolerance to spices.
- This poori masala can be served with plain rotis or rice too. But it is a perfect accompaniment for pooris.
- Aloo Ki sabzi North Indian style for pooris
- all our gravy vegetables here
- Click to see dry vegetables/ sookhi sabzi /poriyal