Moong Dal Halwa | मूंग की दाल का हलवा | Moong Dal Sheera
- Moong Dal halwa is loved by all of North India.
- Moong dal or split green gram is soaked in water, drained and blended into a paste.
- This paste is sautéed in ghee on low flame until it turns aromatic and golden brown in colour. The process takes some effort. But the result of this laborious process is an irresistible and creamy moong dal halwa!
- This halwa is so addictive that you can’t rest until you have finished it all in one go!
- 100 g/ 125 ml / 1cup moong dal
- 1/4 cup / 2 tbsp Besan
- 1.25 cup sugar
- 125g/ 1.25 cup ghee
- 2 cups full fat milk plus1 cup water boiled
- saffron strands soaked in a little warm milk
- cardamom powder 1 tsp
- nuts almonds/pistachios thinly sliced
- salt 1/4 tsp
- Soak moong dal in water for 3 hours
- After 3 hours, the dal fluffs up
- Drain dal off its water
- Transfer to a mixer jar
- Grind at first without adding any water.
- If required add very little water by spoon.
- I did not need to add any water.
- Grind to a slightly coarse paste.
- Boil the milk plus water mixture.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan
- After the ghee melts, switch off the flame and add Besan/chickpeas flour.
- Mix well and then switch on the flame. Keep flame low and stir continuously for about 30 seconds.
- Now switch off the flame and add the ground moong dal paste.
- Mix well and switch on the flame. Keep flame very low and stir continuously. You can keep flame medium after 15 minutes
- This will take about 25 minutes in total. By now the dal will have turned brownish. At this stage, add sugar and keep stirring. After stirring for 2 minutes add kesar soaked in hot milk and hot milk + water. Keep the flame high now.
- Now stir carefully as the mixture tends to jump a lot.
- Shield with a plate to avoid milk splashing on you while stirring continuously.
- Keep stirring until the mixture thickens. Now add the nuts and cardamom powder.
- Stir for 7 more minutes and check the consistency.
- After the desired consistency is reached, switch off the flame.
- Garnish with nuts and serve yummy halwa.100 g/ 125 ml / 1cup moong dal