Kothavarangai Paruppu Usili | Paruppu Usili | Cluster Beans | Gavar Phali
- Parappu Usili is traditional South Indian stir fry vegetable made with vegetables and lentils.
- Parappu means lentil or dal. Paruppu Usili is soaked, ground, cooked and crumbled lentils.
- Kothavarangai means cluster beans or gavar phali (in Hindi).
- We are sharing a simple yet healthy way of making Kothavarangai Parappu Usili today. This tasty and nutritious stir fry goes well with rice especially sambar rice or mor kozhambu rice or rasam rice. Yet it tastes awesome with rotis too.
- 500 g cluster beans/ gavar/ kothavarangai
- 125ml/ 1/2 cup/ 8 tbsp chana dal/ split Bengal gram
- 1/8 cup/ 2 tbsp/ toor dal/ split pigeon peas
- 1/4 cup/ 4 tbsp red chilies. (we used spicy Guntur red chilies)
- 1/2 cup/125ml coconut oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal/ split black gram
- 2 red chillies broken
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida/ hing
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tbsp jaggery/ gud