Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram Using Idli Batter | Paniyaram | Masala Paniyaram
- Kuzhi Paniyarams are dumplings in round size made from fermented rice and urad dal batter.
- These paniyarams are a popular breakfast cuisine in South India. in most households, these kuzhi paniyarams are made from leftover idli batter or dosa batter.
- These paniyarams are also knowen as paddu, gundu pongala, gunta ponganalu, guliyappa or masala paniyaram or masala appe.
- Kara Paniyarams are typically served with chutneys like coconut chutney or any spicy chutney if desired.
- There are both sweet and savoury versions of paniyarams. Here we have shown the savoury paniyaram recipe.
- Idli batter 2 cups
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal/ split black gram
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds/ jeera
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- Curry leaves 1 tbsp
- 1 medium-size onion finely chopped
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a pan.
- When the oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
- When the mustard seeds crackle, add urad dal and chana dal.
- When the dals turn golden, add chopped green chilies and curry leaves.
- Add finely chopped onions. Stir until onions turn translucent. Do not let the onions brown.
- Add this tempering to idli batter and mix well.
- Heat a paniyaram vessel. Fill in all the mould with coconut oil.
- Now fill in the moulds with idli batter.
- Let it cook on a medium flame. This should take about 2 minutes or more.
- Flip to the other side when the bottom surface of the paniyarams turn golden and are cooked.
- Now let it cook on the other side too. This will take only a few seconds to cook now.
- Switch off the flame and remove the paniyarams now.
- Serve yummy paniyarams with any chutney like coconut chutney. We served it with red garlic chutney which we had.
- check out more breakfast recipes