Hotel sambar without cooked dal | Hotel Sambar Recipe
- There are many types of sambar. Hotel Sambar is the sambar that is served with idli, dosa, medu vada, etc in restaurants. There is a slight difference in the sambar served at feasts during marriages, feasts at temples, and sambar served at restaurants. Again restaurants too serve a variety of sambars. The sambar that we have shown in this video is without cooked dal and tastes superb. My fondest childhood memories have been of asking for extra sambar with dosas at restaurants and relishing each spoonful. This sambar brings back those lovely days. When I soak hot medu vada in them and have them for breakfast or when I dunk idlis in the sambar and take a bite, this sambar is always a winner!
- Tamarind a gooseberry sized
- Vegetables 300 grams pumpkins and 1 drumstick chopped (use any vegetables)
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Jaggery 4 tbsp
- Coriander leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 green chillies chopped
To roast and grind:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp split black gram/ urad dal
- 1 tbsp chana dal/ split Bengal gram
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds / jeera
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tbsp rice
- 1/2 tbsp fenugreek seeds/ methi seeds
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 30 grams/ 15 numbers/ 1 cup 1 ts Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 2 tbsp oil
- Mustard seeds 1 tsp
- Red chillies 2
- Ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
- curry leaves 1 tbsp
- Heat 2 tbsp oil
- Add 1 tbsp each of mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, jeera, black pepper, 2 tbsp peanuts, 1 tbsp rice, 1/2 tbsp methi seeds. Saute on a low flame until lentils turn golden. Then add 2 tbsp coriander seeds, 1 tbsp curry leaves, 30 grams/ 15 nos/ 1 cup red chillies, 1 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tbsp grated coconut. Switch off the flame after about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool down. After it cools down, grind to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil.
- Add mustard seeds, red chili, ginger garlic paste (1 tbsp). Stir and add in curry leaves,
- Add in 1 cup chopped onion after garlic turns slightly golden. When onions slightly change color add in 1 cup chopped tomatoes. Add in 1/2 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp red chili powder, salt. Stir and add in chopped vegetables. Saute for two minutes
- .Add about 3 to 4 cups hot water. When the vegetables get cooked, add in tamarind water and 100 grams jaggery.
- Add in the ground paste. Add coriander leaves and let it simmer on low flame for about 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, switch off the flame.
- Yummy hotel sambar is ready. Serve with idli, dosa, upma, medu vada, Pongal, or rice.
- Check out more sambar recipes like radish sambar with sambar powder, sambar powder recipe, hotel sambar, marriage sambar, Mangalore cucumber sambar, Kathirikai rasavangi,
- Soft idli batter in the mixer, Soft idli batter in a wet grinder, crispy dosa batter, Masala Dosa, Mysore Masala Dosa, Kadhai Dosa, Adai, Sandwich Adai, Medu Vada
- South Indian Recipes